The scariest part of Halloween is the munchie monster that lives in my house.
I can pop those treat sized chocolate bars into my mouth as easy as can be. And those little bags of Doritos are crunchy and spicy!
Before I even realize it I’ve eaten 700 empty calories. That’s the same as eating a double quarter pounder with cheese!
WOW! Not good!
I found a few tricks that work for me.
Maybe these will help you too?
- Buy treats you don’t like. We usually buy our favourites, so we can enjoy the leftovers. ( guilty!)
- Buy the treats just before Halloween. If you buy them too early it’s too tempting to sample.
- If you bought the treats early then put them away. Out of sight out of mind!
- If candy and chips are too hard to resist, then give out other fun stuff. Like pencils, stickers, erasers, toy spiders and party favors.
- Eat your regular healthy supper before the trick or treaters arrive.
- Chew some gum while you hand out the treats.
- Mix in some physical activity into the day. Walk with your trick or treaters. If you are home, put on your shoes and walk inside.
- Be intentional! It’s fine to enjoy some treats but be aware of what you are eating!
- Make a plan to enjoy your favourite treats. Life is not about feeling deprived.
- Decide what you will eat. Stick to the plan!
The trick is to enjoy some treats and realize it’s no big deal!
Here’s my Halloween plan: I will eat 2 mini chocolate bars and 1 bag of Doritos. Then I will chew some gum. I will walk inside while I wait for those little trick or treaters to arrive.
TODAY’S little STEP: Make a plan for your Halloween. Plan what you will eat and when. Add some exercise to your day.
You can do this! Every little step makes a difference!
Peace be with you,